Thursday, May 6, 2010

National Day of Prayer

Just a note on the pathetic state of my spiritual life:

Today is the US National Day of Prayer, and I did not pray once. Wait... okay yeah, that is a definite no; not even for a meal (my sister prayed during lunch and my dad during dinner). I realize I should pray every day of the year, and there shouldn't be a special day set aside to inspire me to pray, but the fact that even on this day set aside specifically for prayer I didn't pray is just down right pathetic. Of course, is it any less pathetic that millions of "Christians" across the country only pray on this special day?

What kind of Christians have we Americans become that we need a special day to inspire us to pray, and even then it is questionable if we will pray at all? God has told His children before that if only they pray and repent their evil ways He will hear them and heal their land(2 Chronicles 7:14), and 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says to pray without ceasing. My mom gave a bible study on praying 2 Fridays ago, and said that praying without ceasing is akin to how teens can text the whole day through no matter what they are doing. If you can text while in class, you can pray while in class. If you can text while washing the dishes, you can pray while washing the dishes. So on and so forth.

So, in response to my pathetic prayer life I am determined to pray at least once a day starting tonight until the national day of prayer next year(hopefully by then I will be praying way more than once a day, but I have to start somewhere). By then the hope is that praying will have become a regular habit that I enjoy partaking in. I can pray that it'll be so, heh heh.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment